30 April 2009

Today, tomorrow and some of next week

Things seem to be getting better. It is as hot as ever but surprisingly bearable. I finished Swann's Way. Loved it by the way. I immediately started Madame Bovary. As I said, I could use a minimalist author with a fewer pages.

I spoke to my sister. I has been years probably since the last time we spoke, although we have exchanged pleasantries often. She is reading Lolita. I had some advice for her. "You have to be patient and understanding with Nabokov." I told her. I am planning to read more or Nabokov. Perhaps some translation from Russian.

I finally decided to go ahead and start learning french. I first wanted to learn french when I was reading Tolstoy in 2006. He often introduces lines in french and I was at a loss, not being able to follow what he said. I tried to google translate those quotes but it was not easy or convenient. Obviously I took the shrinks opinion and yesterday decided to take the plunge. Hopefully I will get started soon. I think it will be a good start as I have always wanted to learn some languages, and french is the as good as any to start with, not to mention the airs I can throw, by quoting french at (in)opportune moments.

I have been studying at my own pace. I think I will finish in time for my exams in June. I should increase my study hours considerably for next year, and I really think I should get started with that ASAP. This week onwards I will be doubling my study hours. It is not much really, as I now study only for 1 or 2 hours a day.

Tomorrow is my grand fathers death anniversary. I have not decided if I will go to the ceremony. I think I should. I probably will. Being a little crazy gives me a lot more options than otherwise. The devil in me comes out oftener than earlier. I do believe in the ceremony but am not always at ease around people. Not to mention I will be tired beyond description. I am avoiding my grandmother too, well, because she refuses to listen to reason and I cannot stop reasoning. We are a bad match. I might benefit from skipping the thing as, most certainly, it will turn in a mud slinging family reunion festival.

I am thinking of having my personal ceremony for my grandfather. It, of course, will be during Bhadrapada month. It is very much a valid and reasonable pursuit, although no priest will have anything to do with it. I intend to go at it by myself. A simple ceremony. I should talk about it to some one and make some reminders, else I might forget it like many things I often forget. Being crazy sure has its benefits but I could do without the absent-mindedness.

Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment