2 July 2009

Today is July 02 of 2009

I have to admit I am feeling a little better. I started reading 'The Kama Sutra of Vatsayana'. It is nothing like I expected it to be. It is more clinical than bhakti sutras and brahma sutras that I have read. It is simple common sense and good advice everyone could use. I am again disheartened at my presumptions which were mostly due to western hippie versions of the same. I remember the episode where Joey challenges the 'Friends' that he can make anything sound dirty. The whole business of the american publications of kama sutra seems to have been no different. I have to admit 'Kama Sutra' the movie with Rekha did not help. I think I will see the movie in entirely new perspective after reading the text.

Next on my reading list is Henry Miller's 'Tropic of Cancer'. I have been waiting to read 'Plexus' the second book in his trilogy, buy have not been able to find it so far.

I started a project of my own on Project Gutenberg. I have made a list of indian books in english that I can promote for digitisation. As I do not have project manager rights yet, I have got some folks to help me out. This business of proof-reading for free is great. I get to read some really good books and of course get to talk or email with the most bookish book-worms in the world.

There hasn't been much rain. I am worried OFFICIALLY. The papers are full of warnings of drought, price-rise, electricity shortage and all sorts of bad stuff. I have been hoping they are exagerating as usual but I/we may not be so lucky this time.

I am forced to think and consider the writer course that I hoped to take. My mother thinks I should get to it at the earliest. I have been procrastraniting for way too long, but I have my reasons. It represents one of my last hopes and I am really not ready to take chances with it. This has left me almost frozen and lost. I think I can come to decision within this month.

I will be taking a optional exam on philosophy in maybe a month. I have to start preparations for it soon. It involves reading one sanskrit text on epistemology with eight commentaries. It shouldn't be difficuly as I have done similar things before but that thought doensn' t make it any easier.

Tomorrow is the first fast of the year. I have no special plans. I may go to get some initiations of some mantras. I obviousely cannot keep a strict fast as I have to take my pills.

My cousin is going to Rome. He is auditioning for a scholarship and seat in some music academy there. I had some reservations on his chances, and of course, did not express them. He seems to think he has a good chance. I have to admit I know as little about popular music as possible. I know only one pop star--Michael Jackson and now he is dead. The rest are more gossip column stars and controversy showpieces. I know literally nothing about their art. I may not be the best judge of his chances but do hope he makes it. He has sort of closed all other options for himself but this. To add to the problem his family is not particularly excited about his choices.

That's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment