14 July 2009

13 July,...oops 14 July

I had an OK sort of week. My shrink broke up with me, kind of--She found another shrink to take over. It still hasn't started to rain. Everyday I read reports that the monsoon will improve but it doesn't happen. Well maybe next week.

I finished Kama-sutra. It was enlightening. I am now reading Henry Miller's Tropic of cancer. You see, he is wanderer, and so are his stories and books. I am still getting into his grove. He has many unkind things to say buy I am rarely offended because they are mostly true and I would have said them myself if I had a chance.

I started proof reading 'Kadambari' of Bana in PGDP. It is going well. I could not get to it for a couple of days as my Internet was down. It is interesting, although not as I had expected it to be. It is complicated reading as it has an average of more than 6 metaphors per noun, and I have not yet started the hard part yet. No wonder no-one is interested in introducing Sanskrit works into these projects.

The chikungunya has been going around these days. As if that wasn't enough two different kinds of viral fevers are making the rounds. I am not scare of any of them but chikungunya is kind of scary as it causes a lot of pain in the joints. Five years back no-one had heard of chikungunya and now every one has got it. It is doubly unfair as these diseases come with the rainy season and there has been no rain so far.

I have officially lost all interest in cricket. The ashes are going on and I found out only today. This is not new I forgot to watch the IPL final and the world cup final in recent years. I don't mourn. It is perhaps for the best.

I was hoping to watch 'My mother's new boyfriend' starring Meg Ryan. Her co-star Antonio Banderas I am not a big fan of. I was eager to see Meg Ryan's work after a long time. She in many standards is the gold standard of modern romantic comedies. Maybe I am exaggerating but I haven't seen any good romantic comedies since she retired. All the releases have Ben Stiller who is a pain, or Owen Wilson who is no less a pain. Most of the actresses in Hollywood are utterly incapable of playing the roles perfected by Meg Ryan. For some extra-ordinary reason they keep casting Eva Longoria (who cannot act) or Catherine Zeta Jones or some other atrocity of the same league. Well these days Julia Roberts and others of her generation do not appear to be doing much work. Well, as it happened I forgot the timings of the telecast and missed it. I am too lazy to go out to rent the movie, so I will probably just watch it the next time it is on.

I watched Kareena Kapoor's 'Jab We Met' on Sunday. I have to admit she can act. It was not as bad as I had feared it would be. It has taken bollywoodish liberalites but is still a good movie. Kareena Kapoor delivers and makes the role believable and contactable. I hope she does more work of the kind.

Ramayana has been going on. Yesterday Maricha advised Ravana not to attempt Sita's abduction. It is moronically obvious how it ends but I am enjoying reading it. I have always wondered why I feel the connection and appeal in English poetry that I read, like the connection I feel with Sanskrit or Hindi poetry. I don't experience similar issues with prose. I tend to get bored with English poetry and keep putting it off. The only English poem I read through at one go was 'Beowulf.' I think I was lucky not to have seen the movie in advance, for I am sure it would have ruined it. I remember reading Milton in school and feeling the same buy it has been a very long time. Maybe I should try Milton or Elliot again.

Done.

2 comments:

  1. Henry Miller keeps popping up for me lately, so I'm beginning to think I need to read him. I hope you'll write more about your thoughts on Tropic of Cancer.

    ReplyDelete