13 March 2009

Music and I

I have never been much of a music admirer. Recently I have been following the blog of an American and I have realised how little I know about popular music. As I may have mentioned I visited a cousin recently and he is really into music. He plans to become a musician and is practically in love with Bono. Talking to him only strengthened my suspicions. My understanding of classical forms too is limited. I play the violin tolerably. I listen to music now and then. I manage to rat out names and technical terms that make most people shut-up. But I have always known that I don't know my music.

I once heard that babies learn to admire music as early as in the womb. My mother is not much of a music person. Well, I at once declared, that is reason enough to blame her for my handicap. I fancy I know my literature and movies. Well I am convinced that I do. I can get into the director's mind and think why he picked a scene over another or why a word is best used. I am reading Proust and I see the importance of each and every word. How one word less or more would reconfigure what the author intends to tell. Well I cannot get music like that.

Listening to music is one thing, but getting it is a whole new thing. Anybody can learn a few lines or sing a few songs. To admire the creativity of an artist demands that I too become one. It probably is fair that I get some things and not get others. I should not expect to master every science and admire every art. I was really tempted to ask my cousin to tutor me in musical appreciation. Perhaps just suggest songs to listen to. I must admit I have heard 'Give peace a chance' by Lennon and nothing else. A few anti-war pieces and slogans which have become fashionable again recently. I can recognise Madonna and Britney Spears but that really doesn't count (I may not know music, but I am not stupid.)

Well I have been considering asking Chrys the American to suggest some songs. Pride is a man's greatest friend and also his cruelest enemy. I probably will never get music. I probably will continue to bluff my way through a lot of conversations will big words and fancy observations. Will I be at a loss? I think so. Will I overcome? I doubt it. Should I try? Duh...

So here it goes.

I hear by cordially invite anyone to tutor me in music. Absolutely anything, in any kind of music. Appreciation? hell yeah. History? Oh! yes. I must warn you I know nothing. I have heard some mediocre Bollywood songs, some great Carnatic music without appreciating it much, some Hindustani, with little consequence, jazz I don't know ABC, Rock I am as ignorant as an ass, and please don't get me started on other classical and modern forms. So anyone who is up for the challenge... bring it on. I am willing to return the favour by talking about what I know about literature and cinema, if you are interested.

That's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment