12 August 2009

Post

The new shrink is not entirely bad. She remembers most of my nonsense. She made me start studying for my exams in December. I started on Monday. I am currently into thermodynamics. My old shrink in back from her trekking trip to the Himalayas. I have to speak to her soon. Nothing much interesting is happening of late. I haven't been out much. It rained a little the last week, but nothing to make me feel better.

Tomorrow is the birthday of Krishna. There will be festivities. The day after there will be a lot of sweets, that is, if I get of my ass and make them. Last week I visited the temple in Ramohalli. It was not pleasant experience the last time I was there as a lot of the people in that village and temple are simple jerks. This time I did nothing but sit and read, and said nothing. It was OK. The temple is actually quite pleasant. People are a lot nicer when you don't talk to them.

I wrote the exam on theology I was speaking about. It went fairly well, or so I thought. On Sunday I got a call form my teacher that I had to attend a oral exam on the same subject. This was entirely unexpected. He then told me that it was because I had done really well and they wanted to talk to me and the oral exam was just an excuse. I went. I spoke reasonably well. They seemed to be satisfied.

I have started reading Little Women. Yeah, I know, I should have read it like ten years back but I just got to it. I then remembered that Beth dies, from the episode in F.R.I.E.N.D.S. where Joey reads it and is heart broken. I am still not really into it. I know it is far deeper than the cutsie-jibber-jabber it starts off with, and I am eager to get to it.

I watched Ardhsatya of Shayam Benagal. It was OK. A little too linear to my taste. Then I watched Bandit Queen. It is a good movie. Phoolan Devi was assassinated in Delhi when I was in school, of course that is not in the movie. Seema Biswas is at her usual perfection, the other actors are great too. I can see a lot of hard work went into making that movie. I finally watched My Mothers New Boyfriend. Not really impressed. Meg Ryan is wasted in this ill planned film. It has a lot of obvious jokes and predictable twists. I am afraid, I am reduced to waiting for the next, Meg Ryan comeback.

I hear the sequel to Transformers has been released. I didn't watch the first and will not watch the sequel.

Saurabh Shukla has come out with a movie. It was initially suspected to be a rip off of Juno, but it isn't. I will watch when I get a chance, just to see if there is a single moment like in his movie The Piano. That movie "The Piano" didn't even go to DVD release directly, it was telecast on TV. It probably made no money, but it was a real masterpiece. It was an actors movie. I have watched it three or four times since.

I haven't been reading a lot of Ramayana. I got really into reading the sarva mula granthas i.e. the collection of the works of the first teacher. I read 20 out of 37. I will get back to reading the Ramayana soon. I think I have been making excuses, and not reading Ramayana enough. May be I will get the new shrink on the job.

The neighbours new kid is cute and OK. I didn't get to see her for long as she was asleep when I visited. I really can't tell if babies are cute or not. I don't think we are meant to. I read that babies understand dogs' gestures and expressions before it learns human talk. That is certainly an advantage as I don't think dogs say mean things.

1 comment:

  1. Little Women is the first book I remember reading that had a real impact on me. Granted, I was probably 12 at the time and most young adult literature doesn't seem terribly impactful. In hindsight, though, I can see how Alcott's character of Jo wormed its way into what I am now. I should probably read it again to experience it through the filter of adulthood.

    And I think the reason that babies are born "cute" is to inspire a protective response in adults. Interesting that children understand dogs before humans. Shame that we seem to lose that ability.

    ReplyDelete