14 December 2011

The Dirty Picture and other stuff

I went the the theatre to watch Vidya Balan in The Dirty Picture. It is all it promises. Good acting and a beautiful script makes the characters real. I am told a lot of the movie is fictionalised as details of the life of Silk Smita are few and far in between. Smita was taboo for film historians and generally shunned by everyone. No wonder they had to make stuff up. The characters of Nasserudin Shah is an amalgamation of several 'Heros' of Indian cinema. Balan owns the movie from the start to the credits. She has really come out of her typecast good girl image to essay a role that will be remembered.

Still reading 'The Hunchback of Notredame' which is sometimes tangentially indulgent with the authors thoughts. As much as I respect artistic eccentricities, and as much as I defend my own, I cannot but say that sometimes they are a little irritating. I wonder if Les Miserables is the same. Looking forward to the rest of the book.

Next in line is Machiavelli's 'The Prince'

No comments:

Post a Comment