26 May 2010

Just finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence.
I must say I like parts of it. I took some effort to follow the western PoMo interpretation of Greek philosophy. I did find things I could identify with. I was not comfortable with the reference to insanity and mental asylum, for obvious reasons.

I watched New York the hindi film by Kabir Khan. Not impressive.

'Death in Venice' directed by Luchino Visconti based on the novel by Thomas Mann was interesting. I kept looking for parallels to Lolita. Maybe I will enjoy it more on a re-see.

Today I finished watching 'Water' from the Deepa Mehta trilogy (Fire, Earth, Water.) Preditable and cliche but good acting and wonderful casting. The refference to 'Manu Smriti' a favourite punching bag for anyone who manages to read a book or two is irritable. Selectively quoting isoloated passages from a man who lived a few thousand years ago and passing judgement is not fair. Nobody cares to see the constructive statements made in Manu Smriti. Of course Mayavati screaming 'Manuvadi!!!' every other day does not help.

Met us with a uncle after a while. He too is really into movies. I lent him some movies. Still waithing for his feedback.

The shrink got a new place. She is going places. It is still a little impersonal and minimalist.

Next in the line is 'The travels of Marco Polo' and the movie 'Shadows of time'.

No comments:

Post a Comment