11 January 2010

We don't want no education...

Totally irrelevant title.

I have been a little down, then a little better and then sort of OK.

I finished 'The Sun also Rises'. It left me with a hollow feeling like many of Hemingway's works. I had to make an effort to not to judge the bull fighting which is cruel and sadistic.

Then I started my re-read of Moby Dick. I am currently in the last chapter. The re-read really helped me in appreciating the language and technique. I had developed a rather exaggerated opinion of it from some critical studies of American Literature and paid a lot of attention to detail. I found it to be a good work, but the reviews may have over appreciated it, a little bit.

I watched 'Filth and Wisdom'. I watched to affirm my belief that Madonna cannot act or direct. Well, it was not horrible. If this learning and improvement curve continues she might actually be able to direct a reasonable movie. Sort of OK casting, horrible acting, it has a British multi-cultural feel to it rather than an American cultural feel. A quirky take on superficial existentialism. Again, not horrible.

I watched 'The Wrestler' on TV. Mickey Rourke is good in it. I really liked some of his earlier works. I think he has been drinking or something for a while.

'Shine' depicting the life of David Helfgot was OK too. Geoffry Rush is a great actor, but the script is overtly melodramatic apart from inaccurate, I am told. Geoffry Rush made a movie called 'The Life and Death of Peter Sellers'. I think it is a great movie. It got me interested in Peter Sellers' work and made me a fan of Geoffry Rush.

I have been working on my assignment for the writing course. I think I can have it finished and sent by the end of this week.

I visited the old shrink once. She is now sort of open to 'Hypnotic Therapy'. I asked her to look it up and tell me. Her son is getting married, so she asked for a month to do it. Then she invited me to her son's wedding and totally freaked me out. I explained in over a dozen repetitive sentences that I might not be comfortable with that. I think she just misread me and thought I was expecting an invitation. The thing is people invite literally everyone to weddings in India.

Done

No comments:

Post a Comment