1 June 2009

Some movies I watched

June is here. The monsoon was delayed due to cyclone Aila, it will probably set in today. I haven't studied much for my exams. I have already done a first study and will get back to revision 3 days from now.

I have started listening to e-books on my MP3 player. Currently listening to 'Zorba The Greek'. I do like the making of the plot. I tend to be suspicious of the authors that introduce the characters with 'romantic' idealism. I always prefer a plain and clinical entry into the plot. The best example would be Aki Karusmaki's movies. I really like the way he introduces men into the frame, as though they were a cup of tea. I watched his movie "The Match factory girl" yesterday. I really liked it. By the way I re-watched Attenborough's Gandhi, again. I am beginning to think it gets less interesting every time I watch it. I always felt he had done a OK job at capturing Gandhi's idealism in the movie, but am beginning to change my mind every time I watch the movie again. I also thought his "Chaplin" was too romantic and melodramatic. I read that Francoise Truffaut said "cinema is life improved". Well, I strongly feel that one can overdo any element of cinema like comedy, drama, tragedy but it should never over-state what we can call ""life"". The simplicity of things as they are should never be tampered with. That is the secret to good storytelling.

I watched "The Last Emperor" recently. I am yet to study the characters and background of the characteristics. It was impressive, that is something I have to admit. A well told tragedy. The ending was especially impressive. I don't think I would have liked a ending with a pathetic broken spirited man. The strength to overcome 'fate' is in every man, but alas it is not always his 'fate'.

No comments:

Post a Comment