26 February 2009

Don Quixote, Swann's Way , Being There and other things

It has been quite some time. Although I have been following some blogs, I have not been posting. I have now made a firm resolve to blog and post at least 5 times a week.

I finished Don Quixote. It was wonderful. It is a truly uplifting book. The first volume is almost entirely devoted to satire, but the second volume is slow and simple. It is clearly a much more mature and delicate narration. I would recommend Don Quixote to everyone. It is a bit too long. It took me almost a month to finish both volumes.

I went into a depressive phase after Don Quixote. I don’t think he is to blame. I have been feeling dopey the last few weeks and it finally hit. I have been doing everything I can to fight it, but little has worked. I am now at a standstill. I think I will need a few more weeks.

I started reading Proust…finally. Swann’s Way is quite heavy reading. I plan to read Proust in parts. I hope to get back to the second Volume later in the year. Meanwhile Swann’s is a lot more profound than I expected it to be. I must admit I often overuse the word ‘profound’ but this is for real. Every line is measured madness. Skipping even a single line leaves you without bearing. Reading it is hard work. I wonder how writing it must have been.

Meanwhile ‘Ramayana’ has been going on. Bharata has found Rama in the jungle and is now trying to convince him to come back. I am taking this as slowly as possible. I am afraid my Sanskrit is not good enough.

I sat down to watch 'Being There' again. It is much better the second time. Clearly, Peter Sellers best work. I still haven't found Jerzy Kosinski's original novel. I have, now, almost given up trying. May be it is not meant to be.

I booked tickets for my trip to Hosaritti today. I don’t know what to expect there. I am scared if I will be able to manage and, come out looking as a sane person. LH tried to convince me to go ahead, no matter what.

That’s about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment