4 June 2015

Flop Show and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Flop Show was a Doordarshan comedy show I used to watch as a kid. It was the brain-child of Jaspal Bhatti. It satirised pretty much everything about India. I remember watching the reruns umpteen number of times and never realised that only 10 episodes existed. Although some of the themes may be dated for the present audience the humour itself is universal.

Like most of the people from DD Jaspal Bhatti came from relative anonymity. He went on to have a small career in Hindi movies but mostly returned to doing stage show in his native Punjab.

The ten episodes were very enjoyable.

Flop Show - Wiki

The western, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is something I listen to watch as a child. I remember my friends passing around cassettes of it. I knew nothing of English movies and seeing that it was an audio cassette I assumed it must be a song or perhaps a story.

Much later I learnt about movie sound track and realised that my friends were listening to the sound track of the movie.

I must admit the sound track is very good. I watched the movie a few days back. I haven't watched the earlier movies of the Dollar's trilogy. Although I have no great fondness for the western genre, this is a very good example of it. The story is kept tight and paced. The violence although excessive at its time is normal for these days. The violence itself is integral to the story. The development of the characters would be incomplete if their violent traits were left out.

The cinematography is a must mention. A very healthy mixture of wide-screen shots and extreme close ups takes the viewer to the wild west very effectively.

The music scored by Ennio Morricone uses elements that would have been common in the west at that time. Whistling, gunfire and  coyote howls with minimal instruments aptly captures the music and sound of the time.

An enjoyable watch.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment