30 December 2008

Today and a little of Yesterday

Are we living in an unfair or an unkind world?

The holiday season is here. Every where I see greetings. I do not celebrate Christmas, but cannot help think of this or any other festivals that I do celebrate. When depressed I have always told myself the world is unkind. It is not my fault that I am miserable. Could the universes be conspiring against me? As much as I try to convince myself that, I come to believe the contrary. Can I shrink myself into being happy? Can I be happy?

I do everything I am supposed to do. I will continue to everything I am supposed to do. I will live my life. Is it to the ''''fullest'''' is not a question I can answer.Hopefully someday someone will answer it for me.

Once in a youthful zeal I had declared that 'The best kind of happiness, is that when you are not trying to be happy.' Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I was right. It doesn't matter, for I have realised that, the answer does not matter. Very little does when you are happy.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone becomes depressed over the holidays. Old (sad) memories come to the surface. It will soon pass. To read Swann's Way, let the author's voice and the words and sentence percolate through your mind. Be patient, and give yourself time to savour, especially, Marcel's boyhood. Swann, with his concerns and jealousys can be rather tiresome, but you will be rewarded for staying with the reading in the final volume. The first and the last are the best, I think.

    Odette of Foxborough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post...It's true that when one is happy, nothing is a problem...I feel that happiness is ephemeral in the sense that some days we have it and others we don't. It's not based on circumstances but more to do with how we feel about ourselves and the world. I have learned that one can be happy even in trying times. I lost my Mum in late 2007 and the total, annihilating sadness of her parting also showed me the well of happiness inside me. I know that sounds weird but without sadness we cannot know how high we can rise through happiness...

    ReplyDelete