26 March 2008

Man and himself

I recently watched the movie 13 Tzameti and was very impressed. It was quite an experience to watch a truly disturbing movie with no obvious symbolism or indulgent shots. This movie got me thinking of human cruelty.

Cruelty is something very interesting. Everything I ever read speaks of love and compassion. Buddha, Jesus, the Bhakti movement and literally everyone who had some sense have preached love and compassion.

Yet my mind returns to cruelty.

Can man achieve his potential to love without exploring his potential to hate? Can man be truly compassionate without exploring his potential to hurt? How much must a man hate before he comes to love?

I found the answer in Ashoka. Ashoka is remembered for his transformation from a killer to a saint. Would his transformation have truly happened, if he had been any less of a killer? It then hit me …..NO. Is then, hate the path to love?

My mind now raced.

If thousands had to die to transform one man, how many need to die to transform everyone? Man today stands with a million weapons in hand. Man still has the taste for war. I repeat. If thousands had to die to transform one man, how many need to die to transform everyone? Is it even worth a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment